Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pairing makeup with glasses

Anne Hathaway Rio LA Premiere
Anne Hathaway really pulls off the glasses look in this picture.  The glasses not only frame her face nicely, but her makeup is not over done. She has just the right amount on in the right places to really brighten her eyes!

If you wear glasses, you may feel like your eyes are almost hidden, being that your eyes look smaller when behind glasses, but that doesn't mean you can't wear eye makeup ladies! I wear glasses sometimes, and you better believe I am still rocking out my eyemakeup! There is no reason to neglect your most beautiful features. In fact, with the right makeup techniques, your frames can show off the most stunning eyes on the block! Here are some great tips I have learned over the years when applying makeup with my glasses:

1.Less is more!
Glasses have the ability to amplify the eyes, so the less makeup present the better the overall look will be. 
2.Choose appropriate eye shadow colors
 The shadow colors you choose to wear  will depend on the color of your frames.  The bolder and more colorful your frames are, the more understated your makeup application should be. So if your frames are a bright red color, then you probably want to avoid bright colored shadows. If you have black frames, try to avoid dark, smokey colors. Focus on using light neutral colors.  Also, when selecting shadows, it may be best to select cream shadows, as opposed to powder shadows; That way you don't have to worry about powdery flakes hitting your lenses throughout the day.
3. Highlighting in all the right places 
Something you really want to focus on is highlighting in places such as your brow bone, and your inner corners.  This will really brighten and enchance the overall appearance of your eyes.
4. Be careful with eyeliner and mascara
When I wear my glasses, I don't like to go too dark and thick with the liner. The thicker your eyeliner is, the smaller your eyes will look, which is what you don't want when you are wearing glasses.  You want your eyes to appear bigger. Just apply a thin line along your upper lash line, and line your lower lashline as well. Also don't go too crazy with the mascara. You want to lightly apply it on your lashes.  I've often made the mistake where I've put too much on, and it ends up smudging on my lenses, so I've definetely learned my lesson from that! Depending on how long your lashes are, just apply 1-2 coats on your upper lashes.  I have long eyelashes so when I'm wearing my glasses I usually apply one coat of mascara.
5. Keep your brows neat and defined
Your frames draw more attention to your eyebrows. Your eyebrows frame your face, as well as your glasses, so it is important to keep them well groomed and defined.  Avoid round arches. Emphasize a good, angled arch.

Wearing makeup with glasses can be challenging, but once you find the right products that suit  the shape and color of your glasses, you will be well on your way to looking fabulous in your spec's!
Here are two great video tutorials on creating different looks with glasses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91-EqPzSiRA&feature=player_detailpage#t=16s

http://youtu.be/wOB5nwG1ZQU


1 comment:

  1. This is such great blog. Ladies, take notes.

    ReplyDelete